Friday, December 18

It's Almost Christmas (and it's been a month since I posted!)

Oh what a month it's been too! Lots of changes in my house. We are now proud grandparents to a beautiful baby girl, Abella, born on Sunday, December 7, 2015 at 11:30 pm. She weighed 7 lb, 9 oz, 19 inches long and came in screaming. :)  We are all head over heels for her, but our lives have changed tremendously. Gone are the quiet evenings of just hanging out. Now you find everyone (except Josh, who is at work) scrambling to hold and feed the baby. :)

But of course, I digress as that's not what I really want to talk about today!

First off, business. I'm down 18 lbs since the DDPYoga Retreat in Cancun, and I'm still losing steadily. With all the excitement, I haven't been hitting my mat as much as I need to, but I have kept my food where it needs to be for success, and I'm feeling great. Still gluten free, dairy free, and sugar free. Note that for me, sugar free doesn't mean I used artificial sweeteners. It means I don't. I also don't eat a lot of sweets, but occasionally I have indulged in something sweetened with honey or maple syrup. Yum!

So the real purpose of this post, other than the above checkin. With the holidays upon us, so to speak, I think it's easy to 1. give in, and 2. justify. We face the holidays as a "challenge" that we need to get through. I'd like to suggest a shift in thinking! Instead of looking on the holidays as a challenge, how about enjoying them, and making choices that allow you to enjoy them, and thrive through them. For me, this looks like planning ahead. If I'm going out for a meal, I will, just like I do all year long, look at the menu ahead of time and select a few options. If I'm going to someone's house, I will not go hungry, I always make sure I eat an apple or something to take the edge off, I will usually try to bring a veggie tray, and will snack heaviily on it, and if the meal is something out of my comfort zone, then I will make the best choices I can and eat very small portions. I don't have dessert, I just say I'm too full. If it's something special, like a Christmas cookie that I just can't pass up, I might have a single one, but I'm making a choice. I'm choosing my health. I know, I know. This isn't easy. But it GETS easier, every single time you do it. Trust me. It does. I'm definitely a food addict, it's taken me a really long time to get to this place, but I'm digging my heels in and staying there this year. How about you?

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment