Friday, October 23

Hasta Luego Cancun, Hola New Goals

I have spent the last week in an amazing place. I had the privilege of attending the October 2015 DDPYoga Retreat in Cancun Mexico at El Dorado Royale. This was the 6th year that Diamond Dallas page has held retreats there, but, due to the timing, this was the smallest group. Usually there are over 60 people in attendance but this year there were only 18 of us. It. Was. Life. Changing.

If you have read my blog over the past two years, then you know all about DDPYoga. if you haven't, in a nutshell, this I ain't your mama's yoga, but it should be. This is a kick ass program, no impact, highly modifiable, program based on calisthenics, yoga principles, and what DDP calls dynamic resistance. He developed the program to rehabilitate himself after years of pro wrestling, and it's a pleasant side effect that you lose weight doing it. Anyhow, not the goal of this post. If you want to know more go to DDPYOGA (www.ddpyoga.com) and look it up!

Because the retreat was so small, DDP was able to work with each of us, one on one, with form and modifications. It was freaking incredible. He spent time with every person, helping us understand what's important about each position and how to better ourselves. the daily workouts lasted about 2 hours, and I don't even know how many calories I truly burned! I just know I loved it!

In addition, we also had a killer cooking session, but that's for another post. Mostly, here, I want to talk about goals. DDP sat me down and we had a pretty serious chat about where I am versus where I could and should be. I have allowed myself to slip. In fact, I would go so far as to say I encouraged it. Injuries, life events, blah blah blah. All BS. All excuses. So, we talked, he told me his thoughts, he gave me ideas on turning some stuff around, we talked some more, I thought about everything, and I'm finally ready to set it down in ink and go for it, which I told him. I figured we were all good. :)

Those of you who know DDP know I wasn't quite done. On the last night, at the Farewell Party, I wandered over to the bar where DDP was talking to a few of the ladies who are in a small accountability group that we have. Shortly after I walked up, he engaged me in the conversation, and the next thing I knew, I committed to losing 30 pounds by April 21, 2016. Bang! There it was. I know it won't be easy, I know it will be a bear sometimes, but I also know, I CAN DO this. And more.
As I sat on the plane home last night, I wrote this blog post, but blogger annihilated it with an update this morning, so I rewrote it now. I don't think it's as powerful as what I wrote on the plane, but it's shorter, and you et the idea. As part of this new commitment, I am going to also hold myself accountable by blogging more often. 8 months is too long between posts.

If you can get to a live event with DDP, I can't even begin to tell you how much you will learn from him. He is truly amazing, as is Brenda Page, his wife. Brenda fills in any little gaps and makes the whole experience even more profound. She and I had a chat that was so powerful, so gut wrenching and life changing for me, and I am not even sure she realized. 

This is the real deal. I'm doing this for me. I am going to put myself first, do what I need to do, and protect my future. When I watched The Resurrection of Jake the Snake last Saturday (yes, we got a private viewing!), all I could think of was, "this is me, only my addiction is food." I am done. I may fall down, as Jake did, but I will keep going. 

Hang around and feel free to join me! It's going to be an epic segment of my life journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment