Wednesday, November 17

37,000 words and then some...

Writing has always been easy for me, so this month has been challenging in that the writing process may be easy, but the actual writing has been very difficult at times. I've written 37,000 words. Some of it is probably good, some of it is probably fit for the round file, but all of it is from my heart. It's been an amazing process so far. I haven't even stopped to fix typos or capitalization errors or spelling, I've just really hunkered down and focused on getting ME out there on the pages. I'm so very proud of myself and I've learned so much. I'm not done, but man, I am a happy girl with where I've come!

On a side note, this seems to have opened up my art journal channel. Whether it's because I am trying to escape my writing or expand on it, I don't know, but I've been working in my art journal and I'm having fun with it. I'm going to share two pages here. First, you need to know that I took the photos with this cool iphone app called Hipstamatic. I'm SO in love with it! It intensifies the colors and adds a funky edging. I just love it.

This first page, "Power" is one that I started way back in March, after I took the class in art journaling. It was a watercolor background in pink, orange and yellow and it is very very soft, in person. I did the background and then it just sat because I could not figure out what else to do. Well, it spoke to me the other day, and off I went! I don't think I'm finished with this page (or the facing one that I'm not sharing), but I'm done for now. It says "When you run from your past - you lose your power." And, in tiny letters at the bottom, that you can't read, it says "And the past wins." This is my own personal truth, and something I've been discovering as I've done my writing this month. You can run, but you really can't hide, so why bother? Face whatever it is head on, smack it around a bit, and move on. Leave your baggage at the side of the road. Life is short and precious and the people you love are worth way more than the people who didn't love you. (Not necessarily talking about MY life, but that's all you need to know, ok?)

So the second page is a work in progress. It started out life as my first page in my journal. It did NOT turn out as I wanted it to. I kept trying to add to it, and it kept getting worse. I was not a happy girl. I was afraid I had ruined my journal with this hideous page that was all dark and ugly. Even the dreariest things I might want to journal didn't fit on this page! Over the weekend, however, I decided to do something about it and I came up with this page. I downloaded two beautiful images, the woman and the poppy. I fussy cut the poppy out and ripped the edges of the woman image. I also downloaded an image of pages from an old book, and ripped it up. I added some pages from my favorite victim, the dictionary and the catalog from the Art Institute of San Francisco, and off I went with my glue stick in hand. I have to admit, I LOVE this page.  It isn't done, not even close. I'm sure I have MUCH more work to do on it, plus I don't have a page facing it yet, but Oh my gosh, it's so pretty to look at just like it is. I realized how much I loved it tonight when I caught myself just running my hand over the page... I'd say that's a sign!

I'm finding that in my art journal at least, there seems to be a word that triggers the page, or the page triggers a word. It's a really interesting journey and I'm enjoying it immensely. I am so thankful for Julie who taught my first class, without her, I'd still be trying to figure out how to get started instead of jumping in with both feet and figuring it out as I go!

~ Take care and make it a wonderful day. Celebrate the beautiful life you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment