Tuesday, January 12

No Straight Course

For almost 3 years, I've been on a path to better health and better quality of life. I've adjusted my eating and am fairly religious about working out, the main choice for that being DDPYoga. Along the way, I have come to realize that this is just like any other growth. It's not a straight line.

In December, I took a class at work in Agile/Scrum methodology. I actually became a Certified ScrumMaster. As we went through the class, and through our sample project, I started really thinking on how it all works. It made me put my project management hat on and think through projects I've been on. I've never been on a project that went from point A to point B without some kind of side trip or detour. So, if that's true in my work life, does it apply to my personal life? Does it apply to pursuit of goals too? I have been thinking on this for weeks now, so I decided to just share it, finally.

When I started doing DDPYoga, I was so freaking committed. I couldn't see anything else. I wanted to master the workouts and be the best at all of them. I wanted to show the world that I could do anything in the workouts and I expected to be able to do it quickly. You see, my background is athletic based. As a kid I danced. That meant you learned steps, learned a routine, mastered the routine, and showed it off in a show. Then, I swam competitively in my high school years. That means you swam, got a time, practiced, raced more, beat your old time, and strived to be the best you could be. (are you seeing a pattern?)

DDPYoga, or ANY kind of yoga for that matter, isn't about being the best of anyone. It's about being the best version of YOU. And the funny thing is, the best version of you might take YEARS to create. It might not be something you can just say "ok, I'm going to learn this and kill this workout."  You might have to stick with it and slowly and patiently work it out. I didn't understand this until last year's DDPYoga retreat. I was usually near the back of the room because I was recovering from an achilles injury (more on that in a couple), and didn't want to hold anyone back. Plus I was embarrassed that I couldn't do some of the moves. It hit me on about the third day, I finally HEARD Dallas when he said "it took me years to be able to do this." Wait. What? All of a sudden, the pieces clicked into place for me. So wait, you mean, you can't just do all those moves right away? Hmmmm. As the week went on, I realized I was making leaps in mobility and feeling so much stronger. Consistency is key, but so is acknowledging your limitations.

I mentioned that I had an achilles injury. For the first 18 months or so that I did DDPYoga, I pushed. I pushed hard. Really hard. I got hurt. Often. I hurt my shoulder, I hurt my wrist, then, finally, I hurt my achilles. That one took me off the mat for a LONG time. Even at the retreat, Dallas yelled at me a couple of times because I was pushing too hard and he could see it from the front. He was right. I backed off, and now, just 3 months after the retreat, I have no achilles pain. Of course, I'm also religiously eating gluten and dairy free, but that's another post. Maybe later in the week because Dude, profound stuff there. :)

Anyhow, the picture below is how I feel.is image shows how I feel.

My journey isn't a straight line, like I thought it was. It's got all kinds of fun obstacles and detours, I just need to stick with it and keep pushing. I exchanged emails with Dallas yesterday, as I do every few weeks, to update him on a challenge we have going on. His reply is what spurred this post. "Back on track. OWN it." Yup. Exactly.

So, the next time you miss a day of hitting your mat, or find yourself eating something you shouldn't, or whatever other obstacle gets in your way, remember that it's not a straight line. The journey is all twisty and curvy. But, I think it's important to stay as focused as possible, even when you find yourself in the weeds, and keep yourself accountable. I have little notes in various areas of my life, "30 in 6, what can you do?" All to remind me of the challenge I have with DDP. I'm not in it to fail, I'm in it to do my best.

How's your journey going? What do you need to course correct? After my 4 pound gain over the holidays, I realized I wasn't drinking enough water, and I was slacking a bit with my food, so I have tightened the reins and my butt is back on track. I know I can do anything I set my mind to, if I work at it. (And if I'm patient, apparently! (see also mastering workouts!))

No comments:

Post a Comment