Saturday, March 1

staying on track when you get sick

I don't know about you, but about once a year, I get sick. I mean, really sick. Like, kill me now sick. Sure, it's just a cold usually, but it's a cold with big teeth that clings and fights back when I fight it. :)  This year, that happened about a week ago. Usually when it happens, I just get push on and do my best to get through it, but, to be honest, usually, I'm not a DDP Yoga Diva with workouts to do!  This year, that's me.

Last Friday, I had a great workout. I mean, a *great* workout. I was in my zone, I was doing all of my moves, I felt great. By Friday night, I was falling over, thinking "no no no, I am not getting sick" while I changed into my favorite pjs and crawled into bed at 5:30 at night. (No, I don't do that normally! Especially not on Friday night, that's date night!)

I spent the first part of the week totally frustrated because I just could not get moving. I had to admit defeat and just loll around, trying to drink enough water, and eat properly. I finally made an agreement with myself that, no matter what happened, I was going to do my best and it would be enough. I was not going to fret over not working out, and I was not going to fret about my eating.

Having said all of this, I DID do WakeUp every day. Every morning, I did my best to at least stretch. I also did various little moves throughout each day, because, you know what? It felt good. It felt good to move just a bit and try to keep things loose.

Around Wednesday, I dumbly decided I was "better enough." Thursday was my day to get back to workouts. Ha. Thursday morning I woke up and the weather had changed, and I was back to not so hot, no way is this happening. So I relaxed a bit more and waited it out. Friday was not much better, if not a bit worse.

Today is Saturday, I think I am finally just about better. If the day continues to feel like it does now, I'll do Energy this evening. If not, then tomorrow I'll do Energy. I'm definitely on the mend, thankfully, and will gratefully return to DDP Yoga in the immediate future. Go me!

The moral of the story? Why this post? Because I think it's important to accept that this is a journey, not a race. It's okay to get sick, and it is definitely okay to take care of yourself and get healthy. Trying to push through might work for some people, but I think, for some of us, at least, (and yes, maybe those of us over 50), it's wiser to slow down and take the time to take care and feel better.

Have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment