Sunday, January 12

keep going...

This morning, I did a difficult DDP Yoga workout called "Stand Up." After 6 months of DDP yoga, plus a few days, you'd think that I'd have it down. You'd think that I could do everything and that I never fall down. I was thinking about this while I was doing my best not to fall and to accomplish the moves. I kept thinking about this Japanese proverb.
In fact, I have spent all day thinking about this proverb. Why? Because, to me, this has been a HUGE turning point. Never before have I done something where, after 6 months, I was still struggling to get it right. Never before has it taken so much effort and so much determination to keep going. Never. But you know what? On the flip side? I'm doing things now that 6 months ago, I laughed at. Six months ago, if you had told me I would be able to reach back and grab my foot, I would have laughed at you. A lot. Six months ago, as you know if you have read my blog, (because I keep bragging about it!) if you had told me I would be able to stand on one foot and raise the other foot in the air, I would have totally laughed, because I knew that I had to hold onto the wall to do that. I could keep going. For a long time. Really. So many things. 

And you know what? It's not just DDP Yoga that has changed in the past 6 months. My way of thinking has changed. I have never been one to fall down gracefully. I don't like falling down. The floor is a long way away, falling hurts, and it's a bit embarrassing sometimes. I remember taking a yoga class at the gym a few years ago with some friends. I felt SO out of place and SO mortified that I couldn't do all of the moves. Looking back on it, the teacher should have started the class by saying "you may fall down. you may not be able to do everything. IT IS OKAY."   Because really, as long as you get back up again, and keep going, who cares. :)

Now I look at the challenging DDP Yoga poses and think "Yea, right, not today, but I will conquer this move. I will own it." Just like everything else in life, anything worth having is worth fighting for. I'm working hard to own my life and to live my life at 90% (both DDP-attributable phrases). How about you?

Want to know more about DDP Yoga? Click on the link to the right of this post and read about Arthur and the other amazing people who have also learned about fall down 7 times, stand up 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment