Friday, August 25

Do You Really Understand What Modifying Means in a Workout?

Seriously. What do you think when someone says "Oh I did that workout and I modified it!" Do you think "Wimp! Why modify? Just push through?" or do you think "Wow, smart, know your limits." I will openly admit that ever since I can remember, I've done my best not to modify. I went at my workouts like I go at everything in life, with everything I have, and I expect Virgo perfectionism. I'm dead serious!!
So, 4 years ago, when I started DDPYoga, I didn't really understand that any form of yoga is a "practice". I approached it as if it was something to conquer. Beat each move into submission and move on to the next one. I watched others do this, why not me? Well, I hurt myself pretty good a couple of times. Once was a shoulder that healed up pretty quick, but the other was Achilles tendinitis caused by me pressing down way too hard for my body's limits, in down dog. It was a painful lesson and took forever to recover from!! Even now, I have days where the KT tape comes out and the ankle gets taped before I workout!
These Beachbody workouts that I'm doing? They are no joke. Man, these are HARDCORE, results oriented, kick your a$$ workouts! I'm LOVING them, but I will admit, they are not simple. But you know what? They are only as difficult as *I* make them! I go into a workout with the agreement with myself that I will try everything, and then modify. There are times that I modify the modifiers. There are also times when I do not do what's being done, I do my own thing. I wear a heart rate monitor too! (and I listen to it!!)
I guess I just want to see people be successful and enjoy their workouts. Workouts are so much more fun when you are successful, and you stay motivated when you are successful much more easily than you do if you don't enjoy what you're doing!!
I'm starting a challenge group on Monday (8/28). If you want to know more about it, or want to join us, please, just drop me a message and I'll get back to you and help you get started. It's going to be fun! How can it not be fun to lose weight, inches, and meet new people? (It's online, you can do the workouts whenever you want, streamed from Beachbody! and yes, you do need to buy a subscription to Beachbody to participate!)
Please remember, above all else, in whatever you do, there is NO shame in modifying. No shame at all. We aren't all 20-something, and eventually, with PRACTICE (see what I did there?) you will reach a point where you can suddenly unmodify that move that you were having to modify!
I look forward to hearing from you!
- Have a beautiful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment