Monday, May 26

DDP Yoga, Checkin Time! - Fine Tuning

As I think just about everyone knows by now, I'm coming up on my one year anniversary next month (6/22!). Over this past month, I've been doing some fine tuning to my food and exercise, trying to get things dialed in a bit better. My accountability partner has been pushing a bit toward that (thanks, Mark!), and I decided to get with it. 
First, let's talk about food. I eat clean. I have eaten clean for so long that I don't really have to even think much about it. Having said that, my week is often full of "food landmines." Times when I have to make choices. I *usually* make good choices, but not always. We will call that the "human factor." 

A while back, I blogged about food diaries. I mentioned that I use SparkPeople. Well, this week, with some dietary adjustments (I'll come back to those), I decided to move over to www.myfitnesspal.com (I am 1RadChick over there if you want to "friend" me.) I think I'll do a comparison review this week about the 2 sites, they are different in a couple of ways.

This past week, I've recorded everything I ate on myfitnesspal, and it's gone well. Mark suggested some food changes, which I have incorporated, and I'm feeling great. I had eliminated most of the sugar from my diet, but I think there must have still been some lingering, because at the start of the week, I did have some detox going on. I wasn't feeling my best, and my workouts were lackluster, to me. Now, though, I'm back, full on, and feeling much stronger, actually!

So what exactly have I changed about my food? Here's the rundown.

1. Carbs are first thing in the morning, breakfast, a lot of them. I am eating about 1-1.25 cups of cooked brown rice. At Mark's suggestion, I've added a cup of cooked veggies. For me, because mornings are not a relaxing time, I am using frozen mixed veggies from Costco. It's great! I toss a cup of veggies in the microwave for 2 minutes, take it out, heat up my rice, slap the two together, and, then, the weird part. You ready? I add a teaspoon of mayo. Yup, don't blink, mayo. I personally use veganaise, the grapeseed oil version, and love it. I also add a dash of Himalayan pink sea salt, and some freshly ground black pepper. My mouth is watering just thinking about it! Yum! Weird, off the wall breakfast, but yep, it works.

2. Lunch is a really, really big salad. Tons of mixed lettuces, baby kale, and spinach. To that, I add 1 chopped red bell pepper, 1/2 an English cucumber, some chopped green onion, celery, diced carrots, and mushrooms. I add 1 tablespoon of dressing, for me, readymade is easier at work, so I go with Newman's Own Olive Oil and Vinegar, which is pretty clean. Sometimes I make my own but that's my go to. In addition, I have a protein. This week it has been the most delicious Greek Turkey Burgers (Recipe in separate post.) I'm weird, I guess. I made these and I haven't had a single one hot! I have cut the patty into cubes and dumped it into my salad.

3. Dinner is a protein and a metric ton of veggies. I'm so full after all of this that I can't even think about anything else. I guess it's not actually a metric ton but I've upped my veggies. I've eaten 8-10 servings of veggies a day for the past 10 years or so, but now it's probably up to 20.

Let's talk about this week in workouts. I worked out on Monday with Mark on Skype, doing the Level One workout. It was.... not my best, but I did it and it's all good. I have worked out everyday except 1 day, which is what I try to do, most weeks. After talking to Liz Collins about my hamstrings being tight, she told me about a traditional yoga workout for tight hamstrings. I have added this into my routine, one day a week, and honestly, it's helping, AND, it is adding to my confidence. I surprised myself during my first runthrough, being able to do a move that was one of those "wait, what?" moves. It was pretty funny, actually. I followed the instructor, and all of a sudden, I realized I was doing it and burst into a fit of giggles. So yes, still going strong on the DDP Yoga front, and working on making the most of my workouts and accepting my body as it is instead of letting my Type A personality define that I have to be the best. I AM the best. I am the best me. I will always work on being the best me, and, at the end of the day, that's all that matters.

That's all for now. Make it a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment