Thursday, January 2

felt

When I was really little, my Mom taught me to sew. I learned using bits of floss and little kits that were printed, remember those? We used to get them at places like Ben Franklin or Kresge (east coast I think!).  I also remember doing a bit of "freestyle" embroidery then too. As I grew older, in high school, I remember embroidering on my overalls. Yes, I was a child of the 70s, I wore overalls to school and they were cool! I loved them, and mine were different because I embroidered on them. :) Growing up, I made a lot of my own clothing as well, and even won a contest or two. I love to sew, always have. I learned to quilt when I was 19, and continued to sew through to now. But, most of my work has been on the machine, since those early days. I learned to use a sewing machine when I was 8 or so, and it fed me "want it now" mentality perfectly. :)

At the start of this vacation, I was looking on Facebook and saw Stephanie Ackerman playing with felt. My fingers actually tingled, I wanted to play so badly. If you saw my valor post, then you saw that I caved and bought felt. But that's not all I made! Stephanie posted a little needle case she made, and that got me going again! Here's my needle case, both the front and inside view. The colors aren't quite as crazy in person as they are here, but I really love it. It makes me happy to look at and know that I created it.


That's about it for today. Just a bit about my felt adventure. Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. Cute! I've been pinning needle books since they did the one on Soul Comfort but just haven't had time yet! You inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Christine, it warms my heart to hear I can inspire you! I didn't take Soul Comfort, the one class I have not taken... so I didn't know they did needle books. I just started playing with felt, based on Stephanie Ackerman's posts on Facebook, then started trying to determine what I could do with the little medallions I was making! :)

      Delete